Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Stirring the pot

My heart is pounding a little as I begin to think this through. I have something that I believe to be truth, but it has some controversial aspects to it (hence the heart palpitations). Despite some offenses that this may cause, I want you to have it... or at least think about it.

I grew up hearing my dad say and love the phrase (I believe it is a song too), "I'm just a sinner saved by grace". Obviously, not a bad thing to hear your father say. That saying, on the surface, gives the notion that you are humbled by and undeserving of the love of God. Fair enough.

Then one day, as I was growing into my own faith, I heard someone say, "God dislikes the phrase 'sinner saved by grace'." ... hmm. I needed to think on that because it clearly contradicted what I grew up hearing.

I have now rephrased this: I was once a sinner, but now I am saint saved by grace.

No matter what spin you put on this, I believe it all boils down to identity.... and more than that, how you view yourself as a child of the REAL God. And when your identity is messed up, nothing falls into place correctly. I'm picturing the 'round hole, square peg' situation.

Contemplate this: Would you agree that what Jesus accomplished on the cross, AND in the tomb more importantly, is enough to change your identity?

But don't just take my word for it:

'As for you, you were dead in your transgressions and sins, in which you used to live when you followed the ways of this world and of the ruler of the kingdom of the air, the spirit who is now at work in those who are disobedient. All of us also lived among them at one time, gratifying the cravings of our flesh and following its desires and thoughts. Like the rest, we were by nature deserving of wrath. But because of his great love for us, God, who is rich in mercy, made us alive in Christ even when we were dead in transgressions- it is by grace you have been saved. And God raised us up with Christ and seated us with him in the heavenly realms in Christ Jesus, in order that in the coming ages he might show the incomparable riches of his grace, expressed in his kindness to us in Christ Jesus. For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith- and this is not from yourselves, it is the gift of God- not by works, so that no one can boast. For we are God's handiwork, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do.'
Ephesians 2:1-10


I'm not questioning the 'saved by grace' part. I am wondering, where is the sinner if you have been saved? Didn't I just read that I WAS dead, and I USED to live that way? And that God raised me up with Christ and seated me with him in the heavenly realms? If I continue to view myself as I once was, a sinner, what changes?

'Love your neighbor as yourself.' I ask this: How can you love yourself if you hold onto a sinner's identity? If you cannot love yourself, how can you love your neighbor?

I leave no room for arrogance when I say that I am not a sinner and that I have been created to be a saint and take ownership in that. Humility is not thinking less of yourself, but thinking of yourself less. I am merely confident in the God I serve who loves me enough to create me in His own image. How are we to take hold of the power that raised Christ from the dead if we are holding on to this "just a sinner" identity? We cannot come before our righteous Father if we are still proclaiming to be sinners. Jesus has already paid that debt. Our flesh is dead. There is no need to hang around the grave. We serve a risen Savior who wants us to be risen as well.

Out of everything that God created on this Earth, He chose to love something more than anything else and make it in His image. Holding on to an identity that God fought to abolish (and achieved victoriously) reflects upon Him.

Here's an analogy borrowed from a man named Kris Vallaton:
Say you are the painter of a painting. How would you feel if I looked at your painting and said, “That painting is worthless! It is hideous! The worst I’ve ever seen!” ? Do those statements reflect on you as the artist, the one who created the masterpiece?

When we take on Christ, He no longer sees a filthy, worthless, rejected man. He sees what his son looks like. Jesus died so that we could have a relationship with Him as a freed people, not a people in bondage to a sinner's identity. What would happen if we chose to see ourselves as God sees us?

Praise be to God that He gives us this opportunity. You are awesome! You are made to be a saint! God's kingdom can happen right now and in His kingdom there are no sinners!

9 comments:

  1. Great thoughts, well put! I agree completely. I am proud to say you are my daughter. Stay truely humble.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have contemplated this a bit after hearing some objection to Tom's opening statements before each of his sermons, "I am a sinner. But, I have been saved by the blood of Jesus Christ." I've heard some folks don't like when he claims to be a sinner. I think it comes down to semantics of "sinner". If I claim to be a sinner, as one who sins, then I speak the truth, and so does Tom if that is what he means. I do however fully affirm that I am saved by the blood of Christ and have lost the identity of sinner, as the old self or one who has not been saved and cannot come before our Father. I like and agree with what you say, just gotta remember that I still sin, and therefor I am, by definition, a sinner.
    Just throwing my two cents in the controversial bucket.
    Love ya,
    Ross

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for your thoughts, Ross! It really is a bit controversial, but that shouldn't mean we don't need to talk about it. And I'm so glad it can all be said through love for each other. That's the important part. So thanks. really.

    It does have a lot to do with semantics. After Mitch read this he was afraid it gave the notion that I believe "once saved, always saved." I don't. But then again, it's not for me to judge someone's salvation. I've had this analogy in my head that I think might drive this point home. Want to hear it? (if not, stop reading. ;)

    When we commit (key word) to marriage to our spouse, we don't say, "Well, I hope this works out, but I'm going to sign this pre-nuptial in case it doesn't" (some people do, but I'm talking about believers.) No, instead we COMMIT and say "For better or worse,richer or poorer.... sickness and health." "I'm going to be in unity with you no. matter. what. happens." I believe it is similar when we decide to take on Christ. Of course, it is not by our works that save us. But we don't just say, "Well, I hope this works out, but I'm going to hold onto being a sinner in case it doesn't." When we open our heart to the lover of our soul, we (the church) are in an exclusive relationship with God... and we are changed. No longer single. No longer a sinner. Why would we "test-drive" God? It's a life-style change. So my point is, why don't we claim to be what God already sees us as? And yes we sin, we fall short, and there will always be grace for that. God just loves us that much.

    So I don't believe Tom is a sinner nor you. I do not define you that way. I do define you as an amazing part of the body of Christ. You are useful, valued, and worth so much to the work of His church. Love you brother!

    ReplyDelete
  4. After reading my comment, I realized it sounded like I was saying you are "test driving" God. I don't think that at all.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Agreed. Definitely not saying I'm trying to hold on to some old self or have a backup plan in case God doesn't work out for me. That felt weird thinking/typing that... It's just very humbling to me to recognize just how much I sin everyday and Jesus, after facing every possible temptation, sinned NONE. That is the hope we have in our high priest that He is one who understands the junk we deal with, but He is perfect. Old Testament priests had to offer sacrifices for the peoples' sin and then for their own. Not Jesus-He rocked it out in one blow to the devil.

    Not picking on your humility statement, but I do believe that humility is thinking less of yourself. I guess more of recognizing how awesome God is vs how lacking we are. We should be confident, very confident, in our salvation-I can tell you are and I think its wonderful-and we should also maintain our self-confidence (like, you can be humble and self-confident) just gotta remember it is His grace (giving stuff we don't deserve) and MERCY (holding back what we do deserve) that saves us, continually saves us because of our continued sin. I guess that sorta sounds like the once saved always saved deal again, but the fact of the matter is, God knows our hearts. He put Himself inside us when we took on Christ (seriously, I think this is the most awesome part of being Christian). So, I agree with you when you say who are we to judge salvation? That's a humble idea...
    I should be writing a paper, but this is so much more fulfilling.
    I think you are a truly beautiful woman, with a heart that only a beautiful Christian woman could safely contain (I mean it's big and awesome and you carry it well). I love people who share my love for talking about God. In case I got off track or misled you, this was not meant to be any type of debate really. I agree with 99.9% of what you have stated. As I said I just love talking about God, and I look forward to talking to you more. Love ya

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well said! I don't see this as a debate. It's a very awesome discussion!

    Without going into a whole new blog post (*trying*), I just wanted to be clear that I don't believe I am incapable of sinning. I am nothing without Christ. And this I know we both agree on. I also, like you, find it tremendously humbling to know that Christ lived a perfect live and died for me even though I sin. But it's in those time that I sin, He reminds me of who I am in Him. He does not point out that I failed or that I should just try harder. He says, "Erin, you are IN ME." Such love! That is the point of all this discussion and my belief that I am a saint in Christ and no longer a sinner. Our sinful nature will always lead us back to ourselves, putting the focus on me. But the death of that sinful man always leads to Christ.

    We are a new creation. We live in an eternal mindset once we take on Christ. His kingdom can begin here and now. That is our reality. Not that we are failures, but we are co-heirs with Christ.

    Whether we agree on the semantics of all this or not, I know who you are in Christ and you know who I am in Christ. And that is an amazing thing. Keep speaking life into people, Ross! You're good at it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I must say that I am glad that spiritual matters are being discussed here! I like that. I am aware that this topic has been a bit of a question amongst people recently, especially in the Auburn church.

    I will start by saying I believe that you both are right. The Bible does in fact state that we are born again and what defines us now is the fact that we are Christians and what defined us then was that were sinners. However, It must be noted that these parts of our lives can coexist.

    To further Ross's point, on the one hand, if I am a person who runs, I am considered a runner. If I swim I am a swimmer. Do these things define who I am? Absolutely not. I can be a Christian and still be a runner or swimmer.

    But on the other hand, if I run from the car to the house to get out of the rain, I am not necessarily a runner if I only do it every now and then.

    The fact is that it comes down to semantics. I believe that most Christians would agree that being a sinner is not what defines us as Christians. What defines us as Christians is being CHRISTians. In life, we can either choose to be saved sinners or unsaved sinners. Either way, we are sinners because we CONTINUALLY sin. Yes, grace saves us, but we still sin.

    Romans is a great book to read for this subject. Paul tells the Romans that since we died, we are no longer slaves to sin. He states that he uses the analogy of slavery because of their human weakness and it apparently relates well with their situations. But later on, he still describes the struggles with sin and how it still lives in us. He gives his own account of what he struggles with and goes on to say: "So God did what the law could not do. He sent his own Son in a body like the bodies we sinners have." Paul could have said "like the bodies we sinners had". But he states presently "have". We can be saved sinners because we continually sin, given our sinful nature (Romans chapter 7).

    What is most important to note is that whether you think that you are a Christian sinner or believe that you a Christian that sins, you are going to do the same thing: sin and be saved by the grace of God. Whether you believe certain words mean what, you still believe that you are saved by the grace of God, and trying your hardest not to sin is what will get you to Heaven (among other things).

    I love you all, and enjoyed seeing that spiritual matters get your blood working. It means we all love God and want to know what the Bible says we should do!

    Yeah God!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well said sir. The pot has been stirred...

    ReplyDelete