Monday, July 2, 2012

Painting in my pajamas, #10

Sunday afternoon is best celebrated in pajamas. It's a great way to set yourself up for a nap. And after your mid-day slumber, you wake up and want to paint. Thus you keep your pjs on because who cares if you get them messy... they're pjs.

So, I finally finished my wood pallet project, #10. Total cost (I already had most of the supplies): about $8. My supplies: a wooden pallet FO FREE!, wood stain, scrapbook paper (in my case, I found some awesome sheet music paper at Hobby Lobby), Cricut machine, mod podge, stencil, paint, and sponge brush.

Here's how it went down:

I found this great wooden pallet by a dumpster and got the hubs to cut it in half because it was HUGE. Unfortunately, I didn't take pictures of this stage of the project. I then sanded it down and stained it with some stain that I bought years ago for another project.


I then had to pick out a phrase (or verse) to put on this newly stained hunk of wood. My favorite hymn is "It Is Well" so I chose my favorite line. My amazingly crafty mother has a Cricut machine. She came to visit one weekend and we went to town on that thing. After hours of working through my picky-ness, we decided on a font and cut it all out. I then mod-podged the letters on the pallet.


I decided to use a stencil for the next step. I don't feel very confident painting free hand especially on a project like this (I want this to be a focal point in our house one day).


And I had a little helper. :)


The hard part was figuring out how I wanted the stencil layed out on the pallet. After about 45 minutes of these decisions, I finished it. And I'm content.


A special thanks to my mom and Lydia Cash for their artistic eyes!

No comments:

Post a Comment